Wednesday, August 14, 2013

FRED'S PASTA WITH VODKA

This recipe comes from my good friend, Fred, who died of AIDS before there was any treatment available for the disease. He didn't cook often but when he did, it was usually a production we all enjoyed. He always kept this recipe a secret.

After Fred was gone, the administrator of his estate allowed some of us who were close friends to take a few of Fred's possessions, to help us remember him. I took his recipe box, which contained this recipe and which ultimately became so full of my own recipes that it would no longer hold any more. That's when I decided to transpose all of my recipes into this format. So, thank you Fred, for providing me with the impetus to undertake this project (Phil's Favorite Food, Volumes I and II), for such a tasty dish and for being such a good friend.

 
FRED'S PASTA WITH VODKA
serves 6
 
l lb pasta (penne or fusilli)
5 T unsalted butter
2/3 C Polish or Russian vodka
1/4 t hot red pepper flakes
1 16-oz can of Italian plum tomatoes, drained and pureed
3/4 C heavy cream
1/2 t salt
3/4 C  freshly ground parmesan cheese
 
1. Melt butter in a non-stick skilled, add vodka and pepper flakes. Simmer 2 minutes. Add tomato puree and cream. Simmer 5 minutes. Add salt.
 
2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to directions on the box. Drain thoroughly and add to sauce. Toss well with parmesan cheese. Serve with more cheese available at the table.
 
Note: see another recipe for pasta with vodka, posted to my blog on February 22.

No comments:

Post a Comment